Monday, July 18, 2011

He Said, She Said

Welcome to the first edition of He Said, She Said.
In this exercise, Seve & I pick a topic and we both write about it (separately) in an effort to understand each other and perhaps see things in a different light.

In this first exercise, I asked that we both write about “the state of our union”.
You can see clearly how Seve and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. We speak the same language, yet we are worlds away.







The state of our union…

He Said:
I have been married to my beautiful wife for 7 years.  We have a wonderful home and a beautiful 17 month old son.  Life is sweet.  We have everything we ever wanted. 
My wife and I spend much of our day at work. One of us will pick up our son at daycare and when we get home it is a whirlwind of playing, bathing, feeding, etc.  Our life is not what it used to be.  Before our son came along we could do anything we wanted to do.  Go to Galveston for the weekend, hell ya.  Sleep in late on Saturdays, you bet.  Now we have schedules, so many schedules; they can be quite overwhelming.  Especially for me, I am not the most organized man on the planet.  My wife and I are still trying to find time for us.  We find ourselves taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.  We have forgotten why we married each other.   I married a beautiful and creative woman.  She married a wonderful man (after I passed her 100,000 questions test; I will dive into this in a future post).  It seems we are running around in the dark, trying to find our way.  We do not have the patience and understanding we once had with each other.  Our tempers are short; we never seem to be on the same page with each other.  AAAHHHHH, it is so frustrating.  I wish my wife knew how much I love her and that she is the only one for me.  I am the luckiest man alive; I have the best woman at my side. 
Marriage is definitely a lot of work.  It is a lot of give and take.  But in the end it is all worth it.



She Said :

We’ve come such a long way. We’ve come to a beautiful place of understanding and hope. Both of us have changed dramatically. With these evolving changes it seems we hardly know each other anymore. It causes a shift in the cosmic evolution in the state of our union. Sometimes I wish he would just see me. Sometimes I feel invisible like I’m not even here. I want validation. I need recognition. I long for the days when I would walk into a room and everything stopped silent. I want to be that devastating beauty again. In all this evolving and changing, I lost something. I lost me. Or maybe did I lose him? Maybe I’m not captivating anymore. Maybe I’m just boring. Maybe this is a time for self-reflection and transition. We have come a long way, but the race is not yet over. This is the part that makes or breaks us. This is the part where we stand strong and fight and show up even if we are being pushed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment