Monday, August 29, 2011

Birthday Letter #33

This is actually the first birthday letter to myself  (#33 reflects my age.)
I love Cheryl Richardson.  Each week, she sends out a newsletter with a take action challenge and all of them are thought provoking, funny, witty and an overall good 5 minutes to spend with her.
I once wrote her an email telling her how much she inspired me and wouldn't you know she replied to me with a hand written card and sweet little gift! I was soo astounded for two reasons: 1. She would actually handwrite a card herself, 2. That she's actually real! Touching. sweet. Love her! Wanna be her...

Anyways, she challenged me to write a birthday letter along with writing down "intentions" for the next year. She suggests 10!! I can hardly keep one New Year's resolution much less 10 intentions for the next twelve months...
I'll modify it to 5 and see how that goes.

This year I'd like to:
1. Read "A Life Well Spent"
2. Learn to draw portraits
3. Maintain a healthy weight and not obsess over it; accept my body and be thankful I have enough to eat. Enjoy food.
4. Have an active routine that gets my heart pumping and my muscles defined. Use favorite music to build yoga and pilates routines that I can memorize so I don't have to use recordings.
5. Be more giving of my heart / time. Stop being paralyzed by the fear of hurt. Start with my marriage.

6. Finish learning a Canon in D on the piano. (try an easier arrangement for goodness sake!)
(#6 came to me while writing the birthday letter)
7. Create meal plans that provide a feast of healthy meals.
(I thought about #7 when I went to fix my lunch)
8. Adopt a more minimalist lifestyle.. first order of business: CLOTHES
(#8 came to me while driving)
9. Finish painting the furniture to complete the master bedroom. (I was going to do this anyways...)
(This post has taken a total of 14 hours... and I know I thought of something else for #10, but it's escaped my mind right now... I'll remember it soon... )
#10. Learn to write with my left hand.
(This wasn't what I thought of, but I had to get to ten!)
#11. Build a style file that is easily accessible.
(I'm glutton for punishment!)

Birthday Letter:

Dear You:
This was the year wasn't it? God came through in a BIG way for you and answered your prayers from the 40-day fast you did 2 years ago. He came through at the right time. He's so perfect. Let this year be the year that you leave the past behind. Hit the reset button and forgive all past transgressions. You need to for your sake and the sake of your marriage.
Drewbie has taught you so much about the joy in the small things. Remember when he would get so excited about the paper towel roll? He would spend hours speaking into it and marching with it and enjoying the ride of his imagination. Isn't it great to experience childhood again, through your child's eyes? Isn't it amazing the gift of children? Just how, when and where did he come from? One cell? One thought? One dream? And life came to be. Wow.
Drewbie and Seve deserve the best you. The one that doesn't harbor grudges and resentment. The one that is joyous and encouraging at all times.
Sara wrote a great post which you really need to step into, experience and incorporate into your daily practice.








"Imagine if we cared more about them feeling happy than us feeling right.
Imagine if we cared more about them feeling known than us feeling superior.
Imagine if we cared more about them feeling accepted than us feeling righteous.
Imagine if we cared more about them feeling joy than us feeling envy.
Imagine if we cared more about them feeling abundance than us feeling security.

Maybe sometimes it's not so much about being who we are at all costs. Maybe sometimes it's about letting go of who we are to see who we might become. "

The rewards are astounding.
Quit thinking about what your next goal is and what you want to catch up on. Be in the moment. Here. Now.
See you next year..

Love,
Me.

--------------------------------
That letter was a little harsher than I intended... maybe it was necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment