Saturday, September 17, 2011

Movie Review: Atonement

Atonement.
I remember when this movie came out in the theaters a couple years ago. It looked intriguing. I was invited to a special screening but couldn't go for some reason. I was thrilled to see it on the rack at Big Lots yesterday and quickly snatched it up. Got us some movie candy and convinced Seve it would be a great movie night.













Okay, here's the cast:

Keira Knightley plays Cecilia Tallis - She's just amazing. There's nothing else like her.
If I ever find this dress, I will maim, kill and destroy for it.. just so you know..


James McAvoy plays Robbie Turner, the housekeeper's son.. who's in love with Cecilia.


The character of Briony is actually played by three people.
Briony is the Cecilia's younger sister, innocent, with a WILD imagination.

"Child" Briony is played by Saoirse Ronan.

Young Briony is played by Romola Garai..


The incomparable Vanessa Redgrave plays older Briony.

My review:
This movie was really awesome. I think they did a little tribute to Memento in the direction. Time was always being messed with. It seems like Time was a character. One minute you're in the present and the next minute you're in the past. It's pretty awesome brain candy. It's like Time is trying really hard to get you to notice him/her. Some people like to tune out when they watch movies. I get all in there.. I become the characters and pick my favorites and try to figure out their next move based on their past behaviour. This is why movies always stay with me. I become ingrained, emotionally attached and bonded to them.

Briony tells a terrible lie about Robbie which separates him from Cecilia and Cecilia from her family.

The story is intriguing... but the scenery.. oh my word.. it's just brilliant. Every detail is perfect.
..pure eye candy. Every sense engaged. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Great juxtaposition of a grandiose luxurious existence in the beginning and then war, famine, living in slums trying to survive.. Weaving in and out is always Cecilia and Robbie: their passion.

There comes a point where Briony says she's sorry, but - I'm not sure if it's the acting or if it's part of the story- I'm really not sure she's sorry. I think she wants to be sorry but deep down, I think she's pleased she marred and scarred everyone that stood in her path of what she wanted.
I've said way too much and I never meant to do that..

Just go watch it.. just for the scenery..

You won't be sorry. You'll get lost in this massive house, learn a little bit about WWII on the English side, and walk away either surprised and sad or enchanted and delighted at the beautiful storytelling.

This is one of those movies that makes me want to go find the book it was based off of and get lost in it..






No comments:

Post a Comment