Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James




Superlatives:

Most random line
(that has NOTHING to do with the story, there were quite a number of these)
“... when the door opens and a tall, elegantly dressed, attractive African American man with short dreads exits. I have definitely worn the wrong clothes. 
   He turns and says through the door, ‘Golf this week, Grey?’”


Most profound quote:
“I don’t subscribe to luck or chance, Miss Steele. The harder I work the more luck I seem to have. It really is all about having the right people on your team directing their energies accordingly. I think it was Harvey Firestone who said, ‘The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership.’”

Most likely to have nothing to propel the story forward:
“’I’ll take some coveralls. Heaven forbid I should ruin any clothing,’ he says dryly.”

Most laugh-out-loud-funny-part-that-will-shoot-liquid-out-of-your-nose:
“He smiles.
‘Okay bag out of tea. Sugar?’
For a moment, I’m stunned, thinking it’s an endearment, but fortunately my subconscious kicks in with pursed lips. No, stupid- do you take sugar?”

Best kiss:

~~~Too hot to post!~~~

“The elevator stops, the doors open, and he pushes away from me in the blink of an eye, leaving me hanging…My heart rate is through the roof, I feel like I’ve run an uphill race. I want to lean over and grasp my knees…”

Best use of hands:
“'I see.' Paul looks positively crestfallen, stunned even, and a very small part of me resents that he should find this a surprise. My inner goddess does, too. She makes a very vulgar and unattractive gesture at him with her fingers.”

Best email:
“… Frankly I’m in awe of you, that one so innocent would be willing to try. That says more to me than you could ever know. You fail to see I am caught in your spell, too… My reason vanishes when we’re together- that’s the depth of my feeling for you.”

Best foreshadow:
"And in this quiet moment as I close my eyes, spent and sated, I think I’m in the eye of the storm. And in spite of all he’s said, and what he hasn’t said, I don’t think I have ever been so happy.”

Best Song:
I’m on Fire, Bruce Springsteen

Biggest Eye Roll/You’ve-Got-To-Be-Kidding-Me Moment:
“I gaze at my mom. She is on her fourth marriage. Maybe she does know something about men after all.”


Vocabulary:

gamine

n.
- a neglected girl who is left to run about the streets.
- a diminutive or very slender girl, especially one who is pert, impudent, or playfully mischievous.

edifice 

n.
- a building, especially one of large size or imposing appearance.
- any large, complex system or organization.

jodhpur
n.
- riding breeches cut very full over the hips and tapering at the knees to become tightfitting from the knees to the ankles.
- Also called jodhpur shoe, jodhpur boot . an ankle-high shoe for wearing with such breeches, having a strap that encircles the ankle and buckles on the side.

phlegmatic

adj.
-not easily excited to action or display of emotion; apathetic; sluggish.
-self-possessed, calm, or composed.
-of the nature of or abounding in the humor phlegm.

somnambulant

adj.
-walking or tending to walk while asleep  

in-situ
adj.
-Being in the original position; not having been moved or transferred to another location;

castigate
v.
- To inflict severe punishment on.
- To criticize severely.

------------
This isn't really a vocabulary word, but I thought it was interesting:

Anastasia:

n.
Resurrection
-----------------

Personal reflections:
Can't wait to read book #2!!!

Slow SLOW beginning. Bedroom scenes are HOT! Amateur writing. Not prose. Very entertaining though.
I enjoyed the literature references and was intrigued by the choices of music..
Be still my heart! There's a playlist!!!
Where IS that repeat button!





No comments:

Post a Comment