Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review: God on the Streets of Gotham

God on the Streets of Gotham:

Many thanks to Tyndale Publishers for providing me a complimentary copy of:

God on the Streets of Gotham by Paul Asay


The best parts of this book:

“The images we see affect us in ways both overt and subtle, and we might not ever notice that these things are influencing us at all.”

“He is a product of a fallen world even as he strives to rise above it.”

“I wonder sometimes if the reason why some of us hate to be still or alone is that in the quiet of our own thoughts we find ourselves facing the darkness within- unmasked, inconsistent with the person we wish to be.”

“Our God is a storyteller. And the best stories often don’t make sense to readers until the very end.”

“And when we love, we leave ourselves open to the worst sort of loss.”

“He simply knew what he had to do… and did it.”

Personal Reflections:

I can always tell when the enemy is thwarting me from God’s will.
In the midst of reading this book, I was riveted, intrigued, had many AHA! moments.
The next day, it seemed my brain got all cloudy. I knew I needed to finish reading this book, but there was always something else to do. At times the book was left at the office or it was too much work to get it from the car. The minute I thought about reading I would suddenly get tired and listless. I knew the enemy was working. It was a difficult battle to finish reading.
What I gained from the experience was a powerful understanding of the great mind we’ve been given.
The creative force that can drive us.
When the mind is focused, no evil, no matter how strong, can extinguish its power.
My mind these days is scattered. I never know what to do next. So many lists, so little time. It makes me an easy target. I am easily swayed by the opinions of friends, emails I read, images I allow in my brain.
I have goals, no drive.
Fear has left me bereft of everything good.
Nothing propels me out of bed in the morning.
Focus is key.
Something that will fire me up.
Passion.
This book gave me some great feedback of what I am lacking through the use of Batman as an analogy. It was a good running start.

Now.must.focus.

I am batman.

(Sorry, couldn’t help it).

1 comment:

  1. I wont be in Huston, Dallas (not even sure if those two are close) were staying in grapevine, anything we need to do while there?

    ReplyDelete