Monday, June 11, 2012

Expectation

"Fridays are for writing for five minutes.
Only five minutes.
Stream-of-consciousness style. Like you did when you were in 9th grade.
Write and see what comes out. There’s no right or wrong."

Today’s Prompt: Expectation

I have this little boy who loves trains! It’s the only thing he will play with all day. I may as well just put all his other toys up sale because he cares not for anything else in this world. He sees that train track and those trains in the living room and he drops his beloved sippy cup and just starts playing.. weaving them in and out.. his imagination just simmering with great adventures. He will sometimes sleep with his trains. Yes. he. does!
The other day, I was playing/teasing him and asked him if he would give me his train. Just like I expected, he refused and grabbed hold of it tighter closer to his little chest as if he could hide it in his ribcage.
Then, in a moment of glorious surrender, he handed it to me! HIS BELOVED TRAIN! I was astounded beyond words that he would give me his most prized possession. What a sacrifice from his small, gentle, sweet heart.. I am still enthralled. God showed me what it means to give.
The only thing I could muster up to say was,  “Oh punkin! Thank you! I’ll get 10 trains for you in every color of the rainbow!”
So blessed I was by this one amazing moment.
It made me think of obedience to God. If we give to him our best and most prized items, he blesses us ten-fold as his Word promises.
I always thought I would be the one to teach my child God’s amazing love, but alas, he’s schooling me.
Deuteronomy 15:10
Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.



 
 

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful story for a great message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah.. observing kids really teaches me a lot.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! Both my oldest love trains too. And I agree that I think they teach me more sometimes than I teach them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete