Friday, June 1, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games

Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

"One time, when I was in a blind in a tree, waiting motionless for game to wander by, I dozed off and fell ten feet to the ground, landing on my back. It was as if the impact had knocked every wisp of air from my lungs, and I lay there struggling to inhale, to exhale, to do anything.
That’s how I feel now, trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as the name bounces around the inside of my skull..."


The Hunger Games was a great adventure. Gripping from the first chapter.

I held my breath through some parts and couldn’t put it down.


Questions I’m still pondering:
Are we as civilized as we think?
What lies beneath us?
A heart of darkness?
Or a pure sacrificing soul craving to be free?
Free from what exactly?
Is love the driving force?
Or is it survival?
Which force would we let win in the end?


I am quite surprised at its effect on me: how it has stayed with me. I refuse to read another book until this one has finished with me.

Other good quotes from the book:

"Prim!" The strangled cry comes out of my throat, and my muscles begin to move again. "Prim!" I don’t need to shove through the crowd. The other kids make way immediately, allowing me a straight path to the stage. I reach her just as she is about to mount the steps. With one sweep of my arm, I push her behind me.
“I volunteer!” I gasp. "I volunteer as tribute!”

“I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.”

“Kind people have a way of working their way inside me and rooting there.”

“You’re not leaving me here alone,” I say. Because if he dies, I’ll never go home, not really. I’ll spend the rest of my life in this arena, trying to think my way out.”

“My mother says healers are born, not made.”

If the author were in the room, I’m pretty sure I would stand up and applaud.

Bravo!
Bravo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment