Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Book Review: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help by Kathryn Stockett


The best parts of this book:

"It's eating me up, not knowing, but what I do know is, a month ago, I decided there had to be a more dignified way to die than having a heart attack squatting on top of a white lady's toilet lid. "

"She like one a them baby chickens that get confused and follow the ducks around instead."

"... he kissed me so slowly with an open mouth and every single thing in my body- my skin, my collarbone, the hollowbacks of my knees, everything inside of me filled up with light. "

"I stare at her and my anger is sudden, ferocious. Everything I've kept down for months rises and erupts in my throat."

"... For forty-eight hours I've done nothing but type. I am stupid with facts about other people's lives. My eyes sting from the smell of typing ink. My fingers are striped with paper cuts. Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious. "


Personal reflections:
Okay, so I had heard all the hype about the movie.. how hilarious it was. I saw bits and pieces from a preview. I heard a couple people I admired and respected rave about the book. So of course I had to get to reading this gem.
I have to admit, there are some hilarious parts that get you laughing out loud. But most of it is so sad... so disturbing. I still find it hard to fathom the evil that lies underneath of mankind. I've seen this kind of person in my own life, my own family, my lifetime. I still am unbelieving. This was an excellent book. Well written. Well thought out. This is one that will stay with me forever. One that will hold my very soul captive.

1 comment: